Thursday, June 02, 2011

A little imaginary vacation

You might recall here when I drove to Licking, MO to teach a collage class organized by Lanie Frick. Well, I told Lanie about my involvement with the Wood Icing Studio & Gallery and how I teach and exhibit there.  She was immediately interested and we've been trying to set up a time for her to come over and see the space.
And yesterday was it! She came for lunch cause of course everything I do has to involve food I am a little piggy like that. We met up with Bud. Lanie and Bud are friends from a long time ago, horse friends. It was really fun for me to hear them share stories - not being a 'horse person', it is incredibly exotic to me. I especially enjoy hearing about the horse's personalities; they are apparently just like people with very strong traits. It really makes me wish I had another childhood to live, so I could grow up as a 'horse girl' riding bareback through the woods, oh how I can dream.......
Anyhoo, I digress. As usual.

Once at Wood Icing, Lanie showed her work to Rose and was invited to join the Gallery. Yippee!!! Since we have an Opening coming up on 6/18, getting her work framed was of the utmost importance, so we headed straight to Michael's, coupon in hand, to select frames for her pieces. Pieces that are so friggin' amazing......like this......

I adored hearing Lanie's stories and I wanted to listen all day long, I think I must have lived in the country in a previous life, that is how drawn I am to hearing about every.little.thing......from raising baby goats to getting thrown from a horse to a bank drive thru where the teller not only knows your name, but knows your dog and sends a treat back with the deposit slip. Another world that is oh-so-lovely and oh-so-different from the suburban world where I live. Ahh....
We popped over to Chesterfield Arts to see a show that my friend Jeff had curated (nice job, dude!) and I signed up to volunteer for Make Your Mark which happens this coming Saturday and is the singular coolest community arts project that I know of. We saw the 'paint by number' on the levee wall, perused the sketch and I am getting very excited indeed. Hope that my grandsons and anyone else in our area will come on out to paint with us on Saturday.
Geez, Louise, sorry I've been such a blabber mouth today, before I leave, here is a link to Lanie's BLOG.
I wanna get her writing more.  Cause I, for one, really like her stories.
And oh.......forgot to mention.....I have started a new site - a place to sell my art since I'm not doing the Art Fairs this year. If you are interested, you can check it out HERE. I will post pieces every now and then. I'm trying to keep the prices reasonable since I don't have to incur the booth fee, etc. And each one is obviously an original, so when it's gone it's gone.

3 comments:

  1. I had a great time too Mary Beth. The whole day was serendipitous and I'm excited to join the group at Wood Icing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy1:35 PM

    Mary Beth, thanks for the info I sent Lanie for. We still remember with a smile on our faces that terrific workshop you gave, and we're psyched to see you again! As for Lanie, we are quite fond of her too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to check out Lanie's blog and hopefully meet her in person at the upcoming Wood Icing reception!

    Going to check out your new site where you are selling your work, too!

    Looking forward to seeing you at the Wood Icing reception!
    (By the way, thank you for inspiring me to create my own blog button, too!)

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)